Boko Haram Just Released Video Of The Kidnapped Nigerian Schoolgirls
An update on #BringBackOurGirls
**The Short of It:**
A new video, released Sunday, shows 50 of the kidnapped schoolgirls who were taken from their Nigerian school in the town of Chibok more than two years ago by a terrorist group.
**The Longer Version of It:**
First let's back it up:
You might remember the viral hash tag #BringBackOurGirls which began to trend globally on Twitter two years ago when 276 girls from a school in Nigeria were kidnapped by extremist terrorist organization called Boko Haram. Attention and news coverage of the missing school girls has waned a bit in the years since their kidnapping but the hashtag continues to get attention having been retweeted over 6.1 million times by 2016. And the girls? Except for a few, most have remained kidnapped. The militant group claims to have kidnapped the girls as a ransom of sorts for members of Boko Haram who had been detained by the Nigerian government.
Since the initial raid of the school and subsequent kidnapping, 57 of the school girls have escaped and detailed the circumstances of their capture at international human rights conferences. Earlier this year, in May, one of the missing girls Amina Ali Nkeki was found and informed authorities of the death of six girls.
Now the group has has released footage of 50 of the captured girls and demanded that the Nigerian government release detained Boko Haram members in exchange for the girls' release. The new video shows an unidentified militant taking part in a staged interview with one of the girls who seems to speak under pressure and pleads with the government to release prisoners for their freedom.
"There is no kind of suffering we haven't seen. Our sisters are injured; some of them have wounds on their heads and bodies. Tell the government to give them [Boko Haram] their people, so we can come home to you," says one of the girls according to The Guardian
The end of the footage purportedly reveals dozens of bodies of Chibok girls who had been killed by airstrikes conducted by the government, which Al Jazeera reports the military has since denied. The legitimacy of the footage has been called into question, analysts suggests that the injuries sustained by the girls in the clip "were more similar to machete wounds" as opposed to ones from airstrikes. More over, the [Associated Press has pointed out what they think to be one of the "bodies" opening its eyes briefly](http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/08/14/world/africa/ap-af-nigeria-kidnapped-girls.html?_r=1.
The Nigerian government has since said it is making its best efforts to work towards the release of the schoolgirls, who are thought to be in hiding someplace in northern Nigeria.
While many of us have moved on the from the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag that spread like wild fire after figures like Michelle Obama, Anne Hathaway and Malala supported the campaign online, roughly 218 girls remain missing. This is the first major break through in information on the girls whereabouts since the escape of Nkeki who told authors that the girls were being held in an stronghold Nigerian Islamist group in the Sambisa Forest.